Tuesday 24 January 2012

Panache "Sienna" Review

In my opinion, Panache’s Sienna bra is one of their greatest triumphs. If you’ve had success with their other bras, then this bra will seem like heaven to you. Before anyone gets excited, though, here are two things to know:

It runs small in the cup. The specialty store I go to in the US always brings this bra to their customers in a cup size bigger than their normal size. I would similarly recommend that everyone go up one cup size in this bra. 

It doesn’t come in a 28 band. Sadly, this beautiful bra, which gives me the best shape of any bra I’ve ever worn, does not come in my actual size. Since it runs one cup size small, I’d want a 28JJ instead of my normal 28J; instead, I have to be satisfied with a 30J. I don’t like to advise “sister sizing” since it can cause back pain, so if you wear a 28 band normally, I’d only recommend getting this bra if you feel comfortable with the idea of altering the band later. I’ve started on the tightest hook, and as soon as it stretches out, I’ll need to take in the band.

That said, this bra is really beautiful. It’s popped up in various colors over the years…


…but I think this recent Navy/Plum color is the best I’ve seen.


This bra gives me the shape I consider ideal.



I love the fact that the overlay is a rich navy blue, rather than black, which can look flat next to other colors. The plum underneath is a beautiful satin—I just wish I could feel the texture of it. I also love the fact that the lace continues on the band. In general, the look of this bra is very luxurious and sophisticated, in contrast to the cute/fun bras I usually wear, so wearing it makes me feel like I'm doing something special for myself.




I like a round, compact shape to my boobs, and Panache is the brand that really knows how to deliver this. Sadly, they are also the brand that makes bras that are bewilderingly, almost criminally uncomfortable. The Sienna, like most Panache bras, has very wide underwires. After bending them into the shape of my body, I found the bra comfortable, except for one problem—the casing of the underwire is very stiff at the center gore, and since my boobs are close-set, it tends to poke a lot right at the top corners. This painful problem has lessened a lot with wear, but during an unfortunate incident when I slipped down some steps wearing my brand-new Sienna, the wire actually cut me a little. I know this wouldn’t have happened if not for the fall, but again, I have to ask if it is really necessary to make bras with materials that could draw blood in any situation.

Let’s just say, the Sienna is great enough that I’m willing to overlook the fact that it literally stabbed me. I can promise there is just about no other bra I would say that about. 

15 comments:

  1. There is a Sienna model on Zulily today and I've been debating it, myself. Some reviewers say it is wide and shallow like all Panache models, which is NOT what I want. I like the general Cleo shape and the Panache Andorra isn't wide at all (it's my favorite bra right now!)

    I can't imagine why anyone would make a bra with materials so harsh that they break the skin, though. That's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Success!

      Now to comment on all those back entries...

      Oh and also, I wish to say that the shape you get in this looks a lot like the one I get in the Cleo Sasha and the Panache Andorra, and the Cleo Lizzie. So you might like those.

      Delete
    2. I find this similar to the wider, shallower Panache bras, but I also find most Cleo bras are similar to that, so I'm not sure. The Andorra is definitely different from all the Panache bras I've had, though-- I can tell from looking at it that the cup is sewn together in a different way. I've never tried it though, so I can't say how it would fit me.

      I wonder though, if people find the Sienna too shallow because it runs small?

      Delete
    3. I have long lusted after the Sienna, because as your photo shows, it does give a perfect shape. And I am always hunting for broad underwires & a rounded shape. But I just cannot cope with the skyscraper height of Panache's wires! I am 5'9" & they still feel like they go high enough to poke an eye out. So I end up settling for a pointy, more forward, Freya shape.

      Delete
    4. Ah, that is a shame. Do you mean that the underwires come up too high in the armpits, or in the center?

      Delete
    5. The armpits. It baffles me how a 5'5" woman could even wear Panache. It looks as if the Cleo range may come up a bit lower, but they also seem to only go up to a G, & as they run a bit smaller in the cup, I'd be right at the border.

      Delete
  2. I realize that the model has a smaller chest and the cleavage is obviously Photoshopped, but wtf is up with the navy/plum photo looking so different from how this bra looks on an actual human being?? They don't even look like the same garment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was bugging me too! I only chose that stock photo because it showed the colors well, but it looks very different. The upper section is much smaller and the two bottom sections come up much higher, which gives a more flattering look from the front, so maybe they thought it would help sales? *Sigh* I think they may have just yanked it up and scrunched the top bit together, though; I suppose it's POSSIBLE the bra might look like this on certain shapes, like someone whose boobs were fuller on the bottom. Mine are very full right where the lace is so I wonder if that is stretching the lace out so it looks more see-through.

      Delete
    2. That photo is awful. The four above look much more like the actual bra so I'm not sure why they did that for this colour. After all, if women buy it expecting it to look like that they're going to be unhappy with the result and probably return it! My boobs are fuller on the bottom and on me it still looked far more like it does on you that it does in that weird photo.

      Delete
  3. Hi, just found your blog, and love it! I do have a weird question, how can one know/find out if her boobs are fuller on the op or on the bottom? Thanx for clarifying:-))
    cheers,
    Brook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Figuring out your shape is something that tends to happen gradually the more bras you try. If you have boobs that are full on top, you will know because you may find that you get bras cutting in across the top (especially when there is a ribbon or tighter detail there) even if they fit otherwise or are even too big everywhere else. Of course, sometimes that can just mean you are wearing a size too small, but if you find that you fit some bras in a certain size while others that have tighter upper section across the top do cut in, you might be fuller on top and more suited to bras that are lower-cut or more open in that part.

      People with boobs that are more full on the bottom might need to size up with bras that give a lot of uplift, like Curvy Kate's Thrill me/Tease me styles, but will fit well in bras that have a tighter upper section, like Bravissimo's Alana, or Freya's Arabella.

      Other people have boobs that are more full on the sides (better suited to wide underwires) or the middle (in which case you might find you 'fall out' of plunge bras). If you've tried lots of bras and have never noticed any of these effects, you might have a balanced shape that doesn't skew to any one direction, which could be good, and mean you fit in a lot of different styles.

      You can also start to guess based on the shape of your boobs without a bra--figuring out where most of the volume of your boobs is, where they are the most firm, and so on. Full on top often means boobs point more downwards without a bra, while full on the bottom can point up a bit more, but of course some of that also depends on nipple placement, ha ha.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. I just got this bra and it is by far the best bra I have ever owned! I am shocked and the shape it gives my "breasted 2 babies" saggy deflated breasts! Lol! Any suggestions on bras that give this same shape? Narrow from the front, really round and uplifted? I am wearing a 36k in this bra! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wondering if you already found other models which give the same shape as the Sienna? I love this bra but would like one i.e. in white.. so far I haven't been successful in finding one which fits as good as the sienna :(

      Delete
  5. Ummmm... That should say "breastfed two babies"! Geez!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have both the bra and the briefs and when I saw it in person, pictures could not do it justice for it is absolutely stunning. The black lace overlay just makes the color pop.
    When I tried the on, I was amazed for it gave me a more rounded figure and is is so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete