Saturday 21 July 2012

Cleo "Rihanna" Review


I’m not really in the market to buy anymore bras right now because I already have so many—in fact, I’m probably going to be looking to sell the ones I don’t often wear. But there was one bra that, when I saw it was finally available, I wasn’t going to miss out on. That’s the Cleo Rihanna.


This mystery bra has popped up in a few places (like Undercover Lingerista's post here) but I never heard much about it and I was beginning to think that it wasn’t going to be produced at all. Then I saw it was available at Breakout Bras, although apparently nowhere else, but unfortunately the price was way beyond my price range. More recently, the Rihanna has finally started appearing for sale in a few more places, including Amazon.co.uk and eBay, where I found mine. They all seem to be on sale now so I’m not sure where/when/if the Rihanna was posted for normal sale.

Because this bra is the same as the Sadie (reviewed here) and Jude (sixth bra down in this post), I got my normal size for this brand and cut—30H. (I wear 30HH in Curvy Kate and either 30HH or 30H in most Freya and Panache, though I fit a 30GG Deco, and a 30H in most Cleo bras.)



I just love this bra. It’s such an unusual color combination and pattern. I’d wanted a bra from the Jude family for ages but I was holding out for something I was really in love with. I wasn’t a fan of the orange color of the Sadie…


...I don't like the combination of blue and pink, found in the Ellie...


…and I’m sick to death of floral patterns as found in the Poppy, etc.


But the Rihanna has this weird, awesome pattern that isn’t like anything else I’ve seen. It’s somewhere in between a 'tribal' pattern, a geometric pattern, and a watercolor design. It’s definitely eye-catching, and I like the refreshing color combination.


The shape from the side is the same shape you saw in my Sadie and Jude reviews. Round but a bit low, relaxed and casual. It’s definitely not the best shape out there but it’s the furthest you can get from pointy. In some clothes this bra makes my boobs look bigger, but in most, it makes them look smaller because the apex of the cup is close to the chest (it doesn’t have much depth). This is bad for people who need a lot of depth in the cup, great for people who want a round shape without much forward projection.

You can also see that the underwires are pretty narrow and are coming close to sitting on my breast tissue. I actually wish they were wider, but I know I’m firmly in the minority on this point and most people prefer narrower underwires.

The center gore sits SUPER FLAT on my chest. What a relief! I’ve found a lot of vertical-seam bras, especially Curvy Kate’s Showgirl bras that I wrote about here, just never really sit flat in the gore, so they feel as though they are constantly floating around and slipping. This bra sits firmly in the same place for hours.

This bra has the same vertical seam pattern I was talking about in my post about the Masquerade Delphi. As usual, this seam pattern brings with it a lot of open space in the top of the cup. This is great for those with full-on-top boobs and can be awkward for those without a lot of volume in the top because there can be some gaping or a “collapsed” shape above where the cup ends.

All these points add up to a bra that’s perfect for some shapes and best avoided for others. But if you do fall into this bra’s target shape, I’d recommend the Rihanna. It’s so weird and cute that it really gives my mood a boost every time I put it on. It’s a much better fit for me than the Curvy Kate Showgirl bras that I have to constantly keep readjusting and so, in a lot of ways, the Rihanna accomplishes what the Showgirl bras can’t.

14 comments:

  1. If/when you sell some of your old bras, where would you be selling them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided yet. I feel like this blog would be the best place to do it, but there are a lot of logistical/security issues with that and I would have to figure those out first. Otherwise, probably eBay.

      Delete
  2. If you have any old 30GG or 28Hs with too much projection (or narrow underwires), let me know! For whatever reason, bras with a shallow depth make my girls look square from the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pattern reminds me of old school video games (in a good way). Why do you think the center gore lies flatter than with other vertical seams bra? Could it be due to wire themselves or is it the construction of the bra that makes it so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really looks amazing on you! It's a fun pattern and seems to suit your breast shape very well. ;) Maybe something for me to keep on eye on too if the wires are narrower. How does the band feel on this one? Is it tighter than the George?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try this line of bras! I want Rhiannia, Alexa, and Olivia.

    Wow, the prices are a lot lower on the UK amazon than they are on the US site. This look dangerous to my bank account. But maybe not with shipping added in. :-( Looked so promising. I don't need priority shipping, why don't they give me a cheaper option!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous that you fit into this bra! I actually get fitted at Breakout Bras because I live in the southeast and last time I was there got to try on the Ellie (which I am simply in LOVE with) but it was way too small :( I'm going to have to work under the assumption that this would also be true with the Rihanna, even though I love this print as well.

    Sigh... maybe someday Cleo will expand their size range for padded bras!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey ladies! Trying to find a UK stockist of the new Marcie from Cleo by Panache. Help please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's out yet! Not until August or September.

      Delete
  8. Thats good news! Thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THIS BRA! I now have Juna in coffee/nude, Rihanna (coz it's a strange red etc colour combo) and Juna in Black. I like the poppy that you showed here, but am happy with my current collection. It's my go-to workday bra. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you mean the Juna family, not the Jude family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really wish I could find this bra in a 30H or 32H. Unfortunately there are none on ebay anymore. PS you look really tan in these pictures! I'm a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking about buying the Ellie bra on ebay. Can you tell me if it's padded? I don't like unpadded bras. Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete