Friday 16 March 2012

Adventures in Showgirl: Curvy Kate's "Thrill Me" and "Tease Me"

I already positively reviewed Curvy Kate’s Tease Me bra, but since I owned it in the rather outdated size of 30H, I decided to update my collection recently with a couple of 28Js—two Tease Mes and a Thrill Me. The past-season colorways are still available for good prices on Brastop and Lovebras, plus if you’re in the UK you can find them in certain sizes on Amazon for good prices.






The fit is pretty similar between the two styles of bra, but to be honest I have always had a bit more trouble fitting into the Thrill Me (the one with ruffles). It doesn’t exactly run smaller, this is down to very subtle differences in shape, and most people who have tried both seem to have one or the other that they prefer.

With both these Showgirl styles, I always find it a bit of a wiggle to fit into it at first. Most people like to size up in Showgirl, but since I already wear the biggest size in this range, I can’t. Plus, after a few days’ wear, these bras seem to loosen up a bit and fit me better. However, I still do need to re-adjust a couple times a day. The reason I put up with that is the superior shape offered by the construction of the cup. They are fairly low-cut bras, but with a much higher gore than plunge bras like the Freya Deco, so it’s a balance that I love—they show more skin, but less cleavage. (Still more cleavage than I get in my normal unpadded bras, don’t get me wrong, just not as much as I get in the Deco.)

One hilarious and depressing thing I discovered this winter was the fact that when it’s cold and windy, my boobs go numb (which HURTS) unless I wear a padded bra. So I bought these Showgirl bras to wear as normal, everyday bras, and they do work for that—depending on the clothes you wear them with. The Thrill Me, since it has ruffles, is only suitable for wear under a double layer of tight clothes (ie cami and stretchy top) or something tight and thick-knit like a form-fitting sweater. I also personally wouldn’t wear the Tease Me under anything other than a double layer of tight clothes, just because A. that’s really all I wear and B. because my boobs are full on top, I like to have something holding me down where these bras don’t cover.

I LOVE the back bands on these bras. This is a big deal for me; I hate the back band on every other bra I own! The bands on the Showgirls have a firm stretch all over—they don’t have that pesky tighter strip of elastic, enemy of back fat, on the bottom of the band. A lot of people find that they prefer to go down a band size in Showgirl bras to get a firmer fit, but I’ve never found this. I think the reason it works for me in my normal band size is that it’s a little wider (3 hooks, yay!) and situated a tiny bit lower on the cups than many other bras, so it sits a bit lower on my back, where my ribs are. My ribs are a little bigger than my underbust, so the 28 band works well for me even if it is a tiny bit more stretchy than your normal band. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that people go down a band size; I’d say only if you’re between sizes or like a really tight band. I would, however, recommend that you try going up a cup size if your boobs are full on the bottom—there is very little volume in the bottom section of these cups.

Now, when I got my ivory/black Thrill Me from Amazon, it wasn’t exactly the most perfect bra I’ve ever seen. Notice anything odd?


The ribbon was missing from one side! At first I planned to return it as faulty, but it had been the last one available in my size, it was very cheap, plus I realized if I sent it back they would probably just throw it out. So I decided to just put in a ribbon and sew it into the corners. I actually used the ribbon from the long bow on my worn-out ivory Panache Confetti, since it was the right color and width.

This wasn’t the only issue with my Thrill Me, though. As a much older colorway, the ivory/black is fabled to run almost a cup size larger than other colorways made at the same time. This manifested itself in an odd way—I got a lot of gaping, something that has never happened to me before.


But I figured this would be an easy fix, too—the ribbons going across the cups (one of which I had just added) simply needed to be tightened a bit. I just pulled them a bit tighter, folded them at the upper corner, and stitched the fold into place.


And voila! The gaping was much improved.


I still feel, in general, that this specific Thrill Me (perhaps the colorway, or perhaps just this one lonely faulty one I happen to own) isn’t as reliable as my Tease Mes. The Tease Me lacks the ruffles that makes the Thrill Me a bit tricky to wear, and I find it a bit more basic and workable in general. But BOTH styles suffer from a design flaw—the part of the band that runs under the cups in front has a very sharp, stiff edging, which rolls in toward my body and cuts in horribly, to the point of shooting pains. I eventually decided it wasn’t worth it to put up with this in hopes that it would stop happening once I’d broken in the bras, so I decided to try a quick fix. I simply rolled the edging up and out, so it folds towards the outside, and stitched it in place. I imagine if I’d spend a bit more time, I could have made this look a bit nicer than the sloppy way I did it…



But hey, compare the before…


…to the after!


The sharp edging is now nowhere near my skin and the bras are wearable.

Now, it may sound like I’ve had to do so much work on these bras that they aren’t worth buying. But don’t worry! All of these alterations were quick fixes, took less than ten minutes, didn’t require any materials other than needle and thread, and can be easily undone with no damage to the bra if I should decide to re-sell them used later (unlike my alterations on the Princess). Plus, the fix I did on the edging under the cups is something that not everyone will need to do, as not everyone has a problem with the edging rolling in towards them. It just depends on your body and how you move. But it is a very easy fix for anyone who loves the Thrill Me/Tease Me and wants to make it a bit more wearable for everyday.

One last note, I wanted to try to show you what the true color of the Silver/Back Tease Me is. It's another of those bras that seems to look different in every photo (sometimes it's indistinguishable from the Lemon/Black, the Almond/Black, or even the Pink/Black). This was my best attempt to capture the color on camera, but it's still less pink-toned than this in real life--more gray than shiny silver, which is what I'd wanted. You can also see that the alteration, even though I did it a bit haphazardly, isn't very noticeable when you see the whole bra!


17 comments:

  1. I love how you post how you're able to fix the little annoying things in a bra!
    I really loved the Thrill Me - and I did like the width, comfort, and shape of the band, too - but I was one who found the band to be just too big for me. I would definitely need to size down to a 26, if only they made it in that size. This may be because my underbust measures under 28"? I also would've needed to go up 2-3 cup sizes, but I think my breasts are more bottom-heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously need to try the Tease Me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! This post makes me want to try these bras more than ever! Unfortunately, I can't try on Curvy Kate in Christchurch as there isn't anywhere that offers them - so I don't really want to spend a lot of money in shipping to try a lot of bras that might not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Goodness, thankyou so much for this blog! I own both these bra's and I also get little gaping on the Thrill Me. I will tighten up the ribbon tonight!

    I'm 20 and a 32HH, so having the sexy option of Curvy Kate bra's is a godsend to me. I was SICK of wearing unflattering full cup bras. It's nice to know you have the same problems I do, and have a fix for them!

    Seriously, thank you for writing all this. I feel like a comrade :D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contrary Kiwi: I always wait until I need a new bra in a style I am familiar with, and buy a new one too. That way, if it doesn't fit, you haven't wasted postage!

    Brastop is good for cheap postage and free returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately living in NZ means I'd have to pay £14.95 to get bras posted here and if I wanted to return them I'd have to pay £14.95 back. Ends up costing me a fair bit :(

      That's a good tip for not wasting postage though. I will keep that in mind :)

      Delete
    2. Asos. Free delivery everywhere.

      Delete
  6. I just stumbled onto your blog today, and I LOVE it! So great to get this much detailed info on bras for those of us with large cup sizes. I am off to find some of these bras, as I have been struggling with Freya for a while. Thanks for sharing all this info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just turned the thrill me from my least favorite into my favorite bra. At a 38G it is hard to get the right support and it looks great on me except for the weird gaping. Did your trick and it now looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to post again, I followed your trick of sewing up the band under the cups in a Fayreform bra I have and it worked so well. That was the only comfort problem that bra had and now it's fixed! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I recently discovered your blog by accident while trying to track down some Panache Harmonys. I'd never heard of Curvy Kate before but since reading this I am now the proud owner of 2 Tease Mes and a Thrill Me which fit me perfectly in a 34G. I live in Australia and larger fitting cup sizes are very hard to come by and ridiculously expensive. I had 3 sets shipped for less than I paid for my last 2 bras! Thanks for all your help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi iam maria i want to ask you about the thrill me you have how its run

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where are you able to find any of the showgirl bras in a cup bigger than a G? I am a 40 J - maybe they just don't make them in that size....but I am LUSTING after a thrill me and and tease me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the thrill me and tease me only go up to a J cup in 28 and 30 bands

      Delete
  12. Wow! I really appreciate the thought that you put into this post. This topic has been something I have been looking into for a few hours and your post is one of the best I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stumbled across your account a few weeks ago when I began my quest for a properly fitting bra & I'm so glad I did! I love your informative & extremely helpful reviews. This review in particular inspired me to order the Tease Me in scarlet & black. It is so gorgeous & it looks amazing on you! I figured I had better order it quickly, since it appeared that this line has been discontinued (sad about that). Only having your info, one *somewhat* properly fitting bra, my measurements & a hint of a lucky guess, I decided to take the plunge & order it in 30GG, which was the only one left in stock that seemed close enough to my sizing, taking into account that the band runs small on this bra. I'm usually a 32G (UK sizing), but I've found that it varies wildly, so I figured w/ my luck, it would end up not fitting & I would have to sadly ship it back to the UK from the States. Anyhoo, I received it yesterday & was literally jumping up & down with joy to find that it fit PERFECTLY!! Goodness, this bra is divine!. I prefer the rounded look like you do & this bra def. delivers tenfold! The band obviously runs large, so going down a band size w/ it's corresponding cup size worked very well. I ended up scouring eBay & found two more in my size (orange/black & yellow/black) for around $24! Score! :) I can't believe the Showgirl line has been discontinued...this bra in particular. Maybe it'll make a reappearance w/ more accurate sizing? One can hope. Enough of my rambling though, I just mainly wanted to thank you for helping your fellow busty ladies! Your blog has been incredibly helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete